Ancient and Biologically Diverse
The Appalachians are among the ten oldest mountains on the planet.
In the Blue Ridge Heritage Area alone, you will find:
- The highest mountain peak in the eastern United States (Mount Mitchell)
- The oldest river in North America (New River)
- The deepest gorge east of the Grand Canyon (Linville Gorge)
- The highest waterfall east of the Rockies (Whitewater Falls)
- Some of the richest deposits of certain gems and minerals on earth
- Some of the oldest mountains in the world
- Some of the greatest biodiversity on the continent
The southern Appalachian Mountains are one of the most biologically diverse regions in the temperate world. Highlands Biological Station
The International Appalachian Trail ends … in Scotland.